Craig Washington Personal Trainer - Get fit! Stay fit!
RSS Follow

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

Motivation
Time
Winter training
Getting started...
The role of fat in your diet

Categories

Diet
Getting Started
Time for change
powered by

My Blog

Getting started...

Hi, I'm Craig Washington; a Personal Trainer in Torquay, Devon. This week I'm going to write about taking the first steps into a new training routine. Getting started with training isn't an easy task. Whether it's just starting functional exercise around the home, in the park or at work. Or even choosing a gym and Personal Trainer to assist with your new fitness goals. The main thing you need to remember and remind yourself is; why you are doing it?

Set yourself distinct goals and targets that you can tick off along the way and make sure you are making progress towards them. Saying 'I want to get fit' doesn't count as a goal, and people who join the gym along with the millions worldwide in January to 'get fit' will never acheive anything. They will get jaded with their workouts and quit because they aren't making any progress.

That's because they never had a specific target in sight. If you say, however; 'I want to lose a 2kg in 2 months', this gives you both a goal and timeframe to achieve it. Then you can break down your goal into manageable parts. Lets take this target of 'losing 2kg in 2 months' as an example. You will now need to commit to a certain number of workouts per week to hit this goal. I've chosen this example because it's a common one my clients aim to achieve with me. You can break it down to losing 1 kg a month, and broken down even more to 250g per week. Although setting these smaller goals is important to the overall goal, they are not the be all and end all. Some weeks you will lose more than the 250g, and some you may not lose that amount or even add weight. This is due to the reaction your body has to exercise, especially if it isn't used to training so much. That's why the bigger goals of 1kg a month and 2kg over 2 months is really what you want to focus on. Just use the smaller goals and targets to judge progress. This has to be 100% commitment, otherwise the goal isn't really important enough to you.

So if you commit to going to the gym, exercising at home or with a Personal Trainer 3 times a week, that has to be set in stone as part of your life. Make it part of your life for those 2 months (8 weeks) and you will get results. Make the workouts a part of your daily routine, remember you do not have to be in a gym to exercise! Commiting to 45-60 minutes for a workout 3 times a week really isn't that much. It is a good starting point to develop your fitness and progress your goal once you have hit it. Alternatively, engaging in a 15-20 minute High Intensity workout every day is also another way of introducing training to your daily life, that can also have a great impact to your waistline and overall health and wellbeing.

Do not make the mistake of doing too much too soon. I've seen so many people in gyms over the years who join up, go to the gym 5-6 days a week doing up to 2 hour workouts and get exhausted because their body can't handle the new strain being put on it. Set easier timeframes like; 3 times a week and space them out across the week. Before work and at lunchtime are great times to exercise because it doesn't really eat into your 'own' time in the evenings. Also weekends are a great time to set aside that 1 hour for a workout.

But first things first; set a target for yourself and be strict about it! Set a realistic goal; overall weight, muscle size, waist size, an event (running 10km) and choose a timeframe to hit this target in. Look at the long term target (2 months or even a year) and break it down into smaller more manageable parts; weeks and days.

I will cover these areas in more detail in future blogs and talk a whole lot more on nutrition, rest, and specific exercises in the coming weeks. If you have anything you would like me to focus on please get in touch at fitness@craigwashington.co.uk or contact me on social media on twitter at @CWashingtonPT

Thanks for reading and remember to get in touch if you have any questions regarding your own personal goals. If you need a Personal Trainer in Torquay or Torbay and the surrounding area in Devon, get in touch!!

Thanks,

Craig Washington, Personal Trainer

18 Comments to Getting started...:

Comments RSS
aussiewritingreviews.com on 10 August 2018 09:28
Well ! I found the article very informative for me and it also enhanced my knowledge a lot about clinical research. As I know that clinical research is a branch of health care that determine the safety of medications and diagnostic products for human use.

top celebrity jackets on 25 August 2018 11:43
You have maintained your blog with some interesting things which are so wonderful and convey the great ideas to the people. You mostly post the seasonal articles which are very authentic and great to read

uk assignment writing service on 25 August 2018 12:18
It is always delightful to read the post about new year's which is the real time to take new resolutions for the better future planning's. There are few that had been moving in my mind but I need a startup.

hollywood movies jackets on 25 August 2018 13:10
You have maintained your blog with some interesting things which are so wonderful and convey the great ideas to the people.You mostly post the seasonal articles which are very authentic and great to read

Airport Transportation on 18 September 2018 12:57
I browsed your gallery, and I am amazed of all the great work you have done. You are really highly recommended. You have a beautiful hand and talent that has done so many incredible works. I should call you now and make my house look good as new. We all want to have a home that looks lovely and also comfortable to everyone. Congratulations to all the good works you have done and thank you for making our facilities to look amazing as you are.

Edna Miranda on 29 November 2018 12:29
Thank you a lot! It’s really helpful. flashify zarchiver package disabler

http://locallocksmithfinder.com/ on 02 January 2019 15:58
I am agree with your post making style, Your vacation tips are very handy and very different. It seems that you have done study of the tourism.

Jaime on 24 January 2019 13:19
Getting Starting for the personal introduction talking to about for us. I am glad to know that the article is really very good. I am appreciate in the work. http://rubberflooringuk.uk/

Joreg Andreson on 31 January 2019 13:08
This content is very motivational for all of the newbies. This content give me concept and way. I am really very thankful for this. rubber matting

Bird Box Sandra Bullock Blue Coat on 11 February 2019 17:20
Should not be using a tv show as a reason to apply. The bulk of this letter is mediocrely written with content problems. I fell like portions are .

Kris Thorkelson on 25 April 2019 08:00
The nightmare of constipation finally done due to Kris Thorkelson Myplace medicines of problems related to the side effects of the chemotherapy. Like his company was leading the market of medicine in Canada and the United States of America.

bucky barnes the avengers jacket online for sale on 02 May 2019 13:08
I prefer this send. It’s fantastic to uncover anyone verbalize through your heart and as well excellent on this critical intended theme can be easily viewed.

how to get free robux hack on 13 May 2019 12:37
Free Robux 2019 Redeem codes, you get today. The only way to get free Roblox codes that actually work.

Henry on 11 June 2019 13:52
Your article is very interesting. Hopefully later you can cooperate well. Personalised popcorn boxes UK

get best monitors on 12 July 2019 08:42
Online shopping for Gaming Monitors from a great selection at Computers & Accessories Store.

Certus Trading Reviews on 22 August 2019 07:52
Another option for investors is an online trading course called Certus Trading Reviews.

net worth on 12 September 2019 04:01
I think that many people will love to join you on your new platform. Your blog is great, and I am sure many of us follow you. Great post, thanks for sharing!

how to trade in roblox on 26 September 2019 11:43
We know that most people are big fans of Egypt and the Pharaohs. So for those here, roblox high school 2 is promo code that can provide a great and brilliant pharaoh's hat.